Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The perfect summertime cake!





A person dear to my heart told me about this cake, she raved about how wonderful it was and so simple to make. A few days after she told me about the cake, I was browsing through some of my grandmother's old recipes and came across the recipe she'd told me about! My grandmother had marked the page, I knew then I had to give this cake a try!!!!

Let me tell you, wonderful is an understatement! This cake is aaammaaazzing! It light and moist, with just the right amount of sweetness and tartness!

The recipe my friend described to me was a tad bit different than the one I'd found in the book, so I made mine a little different than both....using different parts of each recipe. One called for lemon zest, which I thought would be a nice addition so I added that! Then they both said to use lemon juice for the glaze, I just used some of the remaining apricot nectar. Although it probably would've made sense to use the lemon juice since I zested the lemon, but I wanted to try something different. I've made a glaze several times with lemon juice. With this cake, I'm not so sure that there is a noticeable difference between using the lemon juice and apricot nectar. With all of that being said, without a doubt I'll be making this cake in the future!


Apricot Nectar Cake

1 package yellow cake mix
zest of 1 lemon
1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 vegetable oil
1 cup apricot nectar
4 eggs

Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan. Combine cake mix with sugar, cooking oil, lemon zest and apricot nectar. Beat for two minutes with mixer at medium speed. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each addition. Pour batter into angel food cake pan that has been greased. Bake at 325 for 55 to 60 minutes. Let cake cool for about 10 minutes, turn out onto plate.

Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
2 Tbs lemon juice (or apricot nectar)

Mix together, stirring until sugar throughly dissolved. Punch holes in top of cake, pour glaze over warm cake.

& Enjoy!

No comments: