Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The perfect Chocolate Buttercream Frosting!

I'm always looking for that perfect cake and frosting recipe. Today I found my new favorite Chocolate buttercream frosting recipe! It is creamy, smooth, chocolately and not to rich. I decided to venture out on Martha's website, Martha Stewart that is. I've always had good luck with using her recipes in the past, so I'd give it a whirl.
I tried her yellow cake and Billy's Chocolate Buttercream frosting recipes. I'll just save me the time of typing the recipe and you the time of reading it, the cake recipe was horrible. I can't emphasize that enough, I followed the recipe step by step no such luck with this one. Not only was to dry, the outer layer was crispy not at all how a cake should be.
So back to this delightful chocolate buttercream frosting recipe! I changed it a bit, instead of using milk as recommended I used heavy whipping cream. I must admit, if you're looking for a fudgy rich chocolate frosting this isn't the one. But if you want one that it light and fluffy then this is the one! This recipes makes enough to frost about 12 to 15 cupcakes.

What you will need:
- 2 sticks butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 tbs heavy whipping cream (or milk)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar (sifted)
- 6 oz semi-sweetened chocolate chips
- 3/4 tsp vanilla

How to:
Melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, stirring every 30-40 seconds until melted. Set them aside and let them cool. In a bowl beat the butter until smooth and creamy. (about 2 to 3 minutes) With the mixer on low speed, add the chocolate until thoroughly mixed. Then add the vanilla, cream and sugar on medium speed until well combined.
If you like to pipe on your frosting as I do, this is a perfect frosting for that!

1 comment:

The Taras' said...

Great, thank you for posting this! I was looking for a good Choc. BC recipe that did not have the nasty crisco in it! :)