Friday, March 14, 2008

Dark Chocolate cake filled with carmel and topped with Chocolate Ganache



My brother has been bugging me to make a chocolate cupcake with carmel inside it. So I decided I would give it a shot! This cupcake is extremely rich, actually that might be an understatement!

Typically I try to bake light moist cakes. I thought this Dark Chocolate Cake recipe would be a light cake but it isn't at all. It's really dense but still moist.

I didn't have any carmel to put into the cupcakes other than a package of rolos, nor was I going to the store for anything else. So after I baked the cupcakes, I cut a small hole in the middle of them while they were still warm and put in a rolo then covered the hole back up.

The chocolate from the rolo, melted into the cake and the carmel was still soft. They were really tasty!




On top I put a simple chocolate ganache. If you're in the mood for a rich cake, this is the one for you!

What you'll need for the cake:
1 cup boiling water
1 cup hot coffee
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 1/4 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract


How to:
Preheat oven to 350 degreee F
In medium bowl, pour boiling water and coffee over cocoa, and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool.
Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs one at time, then stir in vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture.
Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes



Chocolate ganache:
1/3 cup heavy cream
6 oz. chopped semi-sweet chocolate

Place the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan till it's steamy but not boiling. Pour the cream over the chocolate. Let it sit for two minutes then stir till smooth. Dip cupcakes into chocolate to coat them, I dipped mine twice to get them well coated, but it's really not nessicary.

No comments: