Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting

Back to trying out frostings....

I had a request for cupcakes for a birthday. I baked Chocolate Mocha cupcakes, they're my favorite! I know I can always depend on it for the perfect cupcakes when I bake them. Since I'm tired of doing buttercream so I decided to try out another frosting. I ended up making a cream cheese buttercream frosting; it turned out creamy, smooth and perfectly sweetened. I was hesitant to try this recipe because I was a bit worried some might not like it if they don't care for cream cheese. Much to my surprise you the cream cheese isn't an flavor that really stands out in it, it really just made the powdered sugar not so sweet. Don't get me wrong, you can taste the cream cheese in it but not to much. Oh and this frosting piped onto the cupcakes perfectly!

The combination of the two turned out delightful!



Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes:
Yields 18 cupcakes

1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup strong black coffee
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350°F.

Sift together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Add egg, sour cream, coffee, oil and vanilla; beat for 2 minutes. Pour into cupcake liners.

Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center cupcakes comes out clean.


Cream cheese buttercream frosting
8oz cream cheese softened
1/2 cup butter softened
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar

Mix the cream cheese and butter until blended and fluffy. Then add vanilla and sugar, mix until creamy.

7 comments:

Tarah at Genesis of a Cook said...

Mmm, I love putting coffee in baked goods. Your cupcakes look very delicious!

Anonymous said...

I just tried this recipe and it is amazing! Just like it came from a box, except better. And the coffee flavor is rich and delicious - definitely my new go-to cupcake recipe. Thank you for posting and keep up the great work.

FerLee said...

Just surfed in looking for a cream cheese buttercream. I can't wait to try it and I'll be trying your cupcakes soon. Love coffee in chocolate and topped with cream cheese, what could be better. Will pass on this recipe with your blessing.

Whitney said...

Please feel free to share!

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.

ananymous said...

Does the coffee give it a coffee taste? I have small children. If they see chocolate and taste coffee I'm stuck eating 12 - 24 cupcakes on my own.

Whitney said...

Hey Ana, sorry I missed your comment before - but no there is not a strong coffee taste. My nieces who are both under the age of 7 ate them and loved them!