Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Orange Marmalade Cookies




I've got quite a few recipes to post that I've made in the past few months...but first and the most recent I made are the orange marmalade cookies. When I came across this recipe on foodgawker, I knew I had to make them for my grandmother! It reminds me much of when she use to make candied orange peels, but in a cookie form! She has always loved orange marmalade so I knew she would love these!

These cookies are soft, sweet, orangey and slightly tangy! I can't eat one without having a glass of milk! I did deviate from the recipe a bit. The original recipe called for fresh squeezed orange juice. I used orange juice I already had in the fridge because the orange I had didn't quite given me enough. Instead of mixing what I had from the orange, I just used all of the Minute Maid orange juice I had.

Something I wanted to mention that I love about these cookies is that the are not greasy! When I make cookies, I always take them out of the oven and put them onto a paper towel on the counter to cool. Typically cookies leave a grease stain on the towel, these did not!

One thing I will to warn you about, is be sure you chill the cookies for atleast an hour!! If you don't they spread to thin and end up a little chewy. I was in a hurry, the first batch I made only was refrigerated about 20 minutes, needless to say that was not nearly enough time. After letting it sit in the fridge for about an hour, I tried another batch and they came out perfectly!

Lastly, I think I will do next time is make the icing a tad bit thinner maybe by adding some milk. This way I can just dip top of the cookies into the icing letting it just lightly coat the top of the cookies. The combination of the icing and cookies are very sweet, so I think with just the light layer of icing would make them perfect!



Orange Marmalade Cookies topped with Orange Icing
Yields about 3 dozen cookies

Cookie Dough
1/2 cup butter (softened)
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cups Orange marmalade (I used Smuckers)
3 cups AP flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Orange Icing
Zest from 1 orange
Zest from 1/2 of a Lemon
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
3 tablespoon butter (melted)
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 cups confectioners’ sugar

1. Cream together butter and sugar. Add the eggs and orange marmalade and mix until thoroughly combined.

2. In another bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. With the mixer running, slowly add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture until blended. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for atleast an hour!

3. While the dough chills, make the icing. Combine citrus zests, juices, melted butter and salt in a bowl. Add in confectioners’ sugar until well combined and smooth. Cover until ready to frost the cookies.

4. Preheat oven to 300° F. Drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet; do not crowd the cookies as the batter will spread a little bit during baking. Bake for about 20 minutes or until cookies are light brown. Remove from oven and put onto paper towels or wire rack.

5. Let the cookies cool completely before icing them with spatula.




Adapted from Neiman Marcus Taste and White on Rice Couple

No comments: