Monday, April 28, 2008

My kinda carrot cake!!


My significant other has been bugging me for a month or so now to make him a carrot cake. I set out on a mission to find what looked to be a good recipe for such cake. I have most all of my 97 years old grandmother's cookbooks, I've enjoyed them far more than any of my newer cookbooks. This recipe came from one of her books, I was not let down in the least it was a perfect recipe! The cake is moist, flavorful and slightly dense.

One thing I do recommend is grating the carrots with a cheese grater instead of putting them into a food processor. I find that when chopping them into such small pieces in a food processor they become weighted down and sink to the bottom. It is a pain to grate 3 cups of carrots, but the result is well worth it!! Onto the recipe...

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
• ¾ cup vegetable oil
• ½ cup apple sauce
• 4 eggs
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1 cup brown sugar
• 3 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
• 2 tsp baking soda
• 2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 3 tsp ground cinnamon
• ¼ tsp nutmeg
• 3 cups grated carrots
• 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
• 1 cup raisins (optional)

• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
• 4 cups confectioners' sugar (sifted)
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
• ½ toasted coconut

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
Beat together eggs, oil, apple sauce, brown and white sugar and vanilla in a large bowl. Mix in flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon. Fold in carrots. Pour into cupcake liners, filling about ½ full.
Bake in the preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes. (try the tooth pick test after about 18 minutes) Transfer cupcakes to wire rack to cool completely.
Frosting:
In a medium bowl, combine butter, cream cheese and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add in confectioners' sugar one cup at a time, mixing after each. After frosting cupcakes top with walnuts or toasted coconut if desired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those look so delicious! I'm going to make those some time. Thanks for the recipe! :)