Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Baked French Toast

It's been a while....I have quite a few recipes that I want to share but I haven't had a break between school and work to post them. So at some point I'll play catch up and post a bunch at one time!

Anyhow on to today's post, for every one post I make on here I usually try 2 or 3 different recipes maybe more. I've learned with cooking/baking it is a hit or miss kinda thing. You really have to learn to create as you go, in case you don't have something the recipe calls for, if you're not getting the right consistency, etc. This is one of those recipes, I've tried two different ways of making it and this one was it!

My mom and Brad's mom came over for brunch about a month ago, I wanted to make french toast but not your typical french toast. I'd tried a baked french toast before but it turned out to mushy. This one was perfect, it was soft but slightly crisp on the top. It needs no syrup or butter, it is scrumptious right out of the oven!


What you'll need
1 loaf day old French bread
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
1 1/3 cups brown sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup

Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon. Cut bread diagonally in 1 inch slices. Dip each slice of bread into mixture, then pour remaining mixture into corners and outer edges of pan, cover, and refrigerate overnight or atleast 4 hours.
The next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup; heat until bubbling. Pour over bread and egg mixture.
Bake in preheated oven uncovered for 40 minutes.

No comments: