Saturday, March 1, 2008

Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes!


You've probably figured out by now that one of my favorite things to do is try out different frosting recipes. I've found some great recipes for frosting and then I've found some not so hot frosting recipes. Of course I won't be sharing the not so hot recipes, since its a waste of my time to type it out and yours to read it considering who's going to try a recipe with bad reviews? Right?

The reason I mentioned the above is because this recipe is one that I am on the fence about. It is tasty, smooth, light, not to rich but it is a little to buttery for me. I wanted to make cupcakes that were similar to strawberry shortcake, so I did a vanilla cake topped with the strawberry meringue buttercream frosting. The frosting got mixed reviews when I took it to a function, everybody either really loved it or really hated it. Although they did all agree that the combination of the two tasted very similar to strawberry shortcake. I think with a little perfecting this recipe can be loved by all! The only thing I would change is cutting back on the butter, with a little less butter I think this might suit my taste buds just fine.

With that said...onto the recipe.




Strawberry Meringue Buttercream
What you will need:
Makes 5 cups
4 large egg whites
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into tablespoons
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups strawberry jam (pureed in a food processor)

How to:


  1. In the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer set over a saucepan of simmering water, combine egg whites and sugar. Cook, whisking constantly, until sugar has dissolved and mixture is warm to the touch (about 160 degrees).

  2. Attach the bowl to the mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat the egg-white mixture on high speed until it holds stiff (but not dry) peaks. Continue beating until the mixture is fluffy and cooled, about 6 minutes.

  3. Switch to the paddle attachment. With mixer on medium-low speed, add butter several tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. (If frosting appears to separate after all the butter has been added, beat on medium-high speed until smooth again, 3 to 5 minutes more.) Beat in vanilla. Beat on lowest speed to eliminate any air bubbles, about 2 minutes. Stir in strawberry jam with a rubber spatula until frosting is smooth.

Recipe found at www.marthastewart.com

No comments: